Almost there... but I did promise a picture, so here it is:
The model still needs a drybrush on the flock and then a layer of paint-on matt varnish. Maybe an extra highlight here and there. Taking a photo like this and having a closer look really makes me aware of those areas where the model could benefit from a few extra minutes...
Tonight I picked up an old trick for this guy and gave the skin areas and horns a coat of paint-on gloss varnish. This is left to dry for tomorrow and I believe it will create a nice smooth finish for the matt varnish to go over. A while back I experimented adding gloss varnish to the paints when painting flesh areas and this also had an interesting effect.
Bottom line, model is almost there, but I am really pleased to remember this old trick and hopefully seeing a good result when I finish the model.