13 April, 2014

Booklet update

POST-CENTAUR PAINTING is moving quickly. Almost 70 booklets have left the house, which is quite impressive. I have also had some great comments from them painters out there, who recieved my little product. Thanks a lot for those comments! It makes me really happy that it you like it and find inspiration from my projects.

On another note, I have cleaned up a handful of very different models that I am planning to paint over the next two months or so. Should be fun. Also, I was struck by inspiration yesterday and made some concepts that might turn into a really interesting project in the scope of a year or so...

11 April, 2014

WIP Rune Lord

Some mini-painting done this week. Status on the my painting of the new plastic Rune Lord from GW.

What an absolutely awsome model. The sprue-layout, the crispness of the designs, and the assembling of the miniature. A pure pleasure to work with. Painting has so far been easy and fun. I am painting this model purely to enjoy the hobby.

03 April, 2014


Finally, as promised, I can tell about, show and link to the miniature booklet shown earlier.

The central idea for the booklet was to present a selection of my works done after my Crystal Brush project in 2011. The entry for the competition was called Duchess Death, and I have often thought if her as the Death Centaur of Doom refering to my doomed mental state after the countless of hours that went into creating and painting the model. In the months after Crystal Brush I painted on canvas, tried out lithography, and explored different more expressive forms of miniature painting. I also started this blog. I wanted to produce more in less time, and I did not care for immediate precision, but worked with textures, vivid colours and with a strong focus on the overall imagery.

In short, I think my painting style and approach to the hobby took a turn after that competition, and it is that stylistic endavour, my POST-CENTAUR PAINTING, that I am presenting in the booklet.

Appropriately enough, the Crystal Brush is actually taking place the coming weekend, so - Crystal Brush competitors beware! - you might be in for a stylistic change if you get in too deep... :-)

It is a 52 pages A6 booklet: 20 spread-pages each presenting a miniature (well 17 on minis and 3 on other arty projects) with a page of words and a page of images. Plus an introduction and finishing with a few of my sketches and mood photographies.

For this first edition run I have had 100 printed, all numbered and signed.

The booklet can be purchased through Runic Miniatures at the following stand-alone site, 

I look forward to hearing comments from those who buys the booklet, and I hope that it might serve as inspiration to start (or finish) some great projects out there. It might even cause a stylistic deviations or two...

Finishing off this post, here are a few more images:

02 April, 2014

Purple ink - nostalgia

Found this last weekend in an old box of paints at my parents house. An early 90s purple ink! And notice the late 90s era purple ink in the background. Awsome strong inks. I just love purple.

31 March, 2014

Terrain nostalgia

Visited my parents the past weekend and went through some old boxes with soldiers and terrain from my early years in the hobby. We are speaking early 90s for most of it, I believe. Look at that dark green on the terrain edges! Yikes!

The weird toadstool-like chaos terrain with the withered tree is from Spring 1999. Never put in the time to make a full chaos wastes themed gaming table like this. Would have been cool though...

23 March, 2014

Painting Crusade 2014

Returned last week for a blast of a miniatures weekend. I was invited to join the judging panel at Painting Crusade IX in Namur, Belgium. The event was great, cosy, and with some great entries. And most importantly I had the change to meet and talk about miniatures with a lot of excited and passionate people. For the judging I was teamed up with Benoît Ménard and Patrick Masson who both were great people, and I really enjoyed the daunting task. Lots of great models.

 A small part of the many models at the event.

An early Sunday morning walk along the river.

Duchess Death in the cabinet Sunday morning: 
Somehow the shifting sunlight in the cabinet glass made a bizarre 
reflection of light on her tail. Maybe she was a cute pony in a previous life...

During the past few months I have worked on a small booklet and managed to get it ready for the event.

08 March, 2014

Planning for Painting Crusade

A quick update showing a some of the minis that I plan to bring to show at the Painting Crusade event in Belgium next weekend.

Still need to pick a few more and plan how to best present them.

07 March, 2014

Photo setup

This blog has been quiet for a while. I have been working on a lot of things.
Among these miniatures and miniatures photography.

This is my photo setup as it looked in late February while doing a lot of mini-photography.
Not the best setup, but it works.

Now, I have got quite a lot of material that I hope to show over the coming months. I have a lot of models done over the past 2 years that has been only partially documented, so there is enough to get into and talk about.

My son has painted more miniatures - the little army now counts GK 5 terminators and 3 GK space marines - and he is still full of excitement for the hobby.

Finally, I am attending an event in Belgium: Painting Crusade taking place on March 15th-16th. I really look forward to going there, to meet fellow painters from central Europe and just to get out there and paint and talk about miniatures.