10 January, 2016

Pink Space Marine

By chance - the inks on the table, and a hunch to experiment - the Space Marine turned pink:

Pre-heresy Emperor Children or maybe another Chapter in that direction, featuring pink plate armour and golden suns as their heraldry. Not sure yet. But I am pretty happy with the model. A little less than 2 hours of work. Quick and fun. All done in one session. A pretty good hobby start for the new year...

Here is a studio style image with a few men for scale:
The pink plate was stipples over a zenith base spray (black spray from below, white from top creating instant pre-highlights). First a stipple of old trusty Elf Flesh from the hexagonal bottle, then pure white (WIP image underneath). Blister pack sponge work, nothing fancy. Over this the armour was washed with W&N artist ink Deep Red. From there I worked in the other details. Washed the deep creases of the armour while washing other areas, and carefully brushing on some thinned white highlights. The crazy thing about these inks is that they bleed a little though the highlights. Thus the white highlights on top are actually somewhat subtle because the seem to be blended in... I really like the overall effect using sponge followed by inks. Could work quite well on vehicles...

15 comments:

  1. Once again, you display your genius. I've been doing stippling quite a bit, but never thought to use inks over it. or even washes. I'm totally going with it on my next round. It just unifies it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. Go have a try. And send me a link so I can learn from your explorations as well.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant work. I am going to have try that technique.

    I have also found that some (not all) of the W&N inks are not waterfast until varnished, which can be frustrating or as here it can lead to some new techniques and results!

    W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Frustrating yes. And beneficial as well. Awsome inks altogether I think.

      Delete
  3. Great job once again!

    Quite surprising result I must say - brill idea with sponge + wash combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Any WIP's on the true-scaling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much. I'll have a look. It is pretty basic. Termie legs, marine arms and shoulders, old powerfist... greenstuff...

      Delete
  5. Nice idea I want to work more on techniques that are quick and yield good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The very reason I tried it. :-)

      Delete
  6. Damn. Two hours - and I thought I was fast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a well-prepped clean and simple model makes a hell of a lot of difference... You ARE a master of speed yourself!

      Delete
    2. Haha. Thank buddy.

      Lovely mini at any rate - those mk4 helmets kick major butt!

      Delete
  7. That Marine looks wonderful Jakob, in spite of being pink ;)

    That technique looks like it could be a lot of fun to try -- thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete